Thursday 8 March 2012

Never Too Young To Learn

You may our may not know that muslims are required to pray 5 times a day at specific periods of the day. I will be honest, I always struggled. The morning sunrise prayer (Fajr) was difficult because of my laziness. I always struggled to wake up before sunrise. The mid day prayer (Zuhr) was easy. I will walk to my city mosque during lunch and offer my prayer. I made me feel good. The late afternoon prayer (Asr), to be honest it always escaped my mind. The dusk prayer (Magrib) is due whilst I ask on the commute back home. The Night prayer (Esha) was often offered but not completely.

I feel terrible. I call my self a Muslim and failed in its most basic practice. I demand other people to understand and accept my religion when I am myself a Muslim by name  not by nature. How are people to understand and accept the Muslim way of life when Muslim s struggle to do it themselves. I know of many that are in the same boat as me; in fact many are worst than me.

I learnt something very valuable recently and its effect on me was profound. it was a simple revelation which has had a profound effect on my performance of salat (prayer). The fact is, up until very recently I have been offering salat not establishing nor experiencing its beauty and benefits. That was hurtful to me. So much so that it brought years to my eyes. It was an humbling experience. salat is what separate me from the non Muslim. it was gives me my Muslim identity. Not the beard, the turban or the dark complexion. It is salat. It is in my view the difference between s good and bad Muslim. A good and a bad person. If salat id established and experienced as the prophet and the companions did, this world would be a better place.

There is a very touching history behind when muslims were ordered to establish salat. I won't hi in to that right now.

My simple revelation was this; salat is the answer to all our problems because Allah is greater than all your problems. For the past 20 odd years I always understood "Allahu Akbar" to meab ~"Allah is the Greatest", which he is. A new found meaning in the context of salat whch suggests the meaning to be "Allah is Greater than....[add your worry, distraaction, problem]. Once you realise that the call to Allah is greater than all your problems and worries and that Allah is above all, salat takes a whole new meaning. I for have found myself to be more focused in salat.

Give it a try. Next time you stand to pray salat and you say Allahu Akbar, remind yourself that whatever distraction shaytan may whisper in your head, whatever trouble your a facing, Allah is greater than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment